Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Dear 2nd Grade Students and Families,

This week in social studies, we’re thinking about human migration–the movement of people from place to place.  People move for a lot of different reasons.  Some move within the country where they were born.  For example, I moved from Raleigh to Asheville, North Carolina to go to college.  Then I moved to Austin, Texas with a friend.  Then I moved from Austin to Provincetown, Massachusetts…Provincetown to San Francisco, California…San Francisco to Olympia, Washington…and finally back to Provincetown–all for the sake of adventure.  My last big move was from Provincetown to the Pioneer Valley to continue my education.  I dream of someday moving to another country, but it hasn’t happened yet.  Have you moved in your lifetime?  Have your parents moved?  What about your grandparents?  Why did your family move from place to place?

Specials:

1. Today’s special is library.  Ms. River’s recommends that you spend some extra time today curled up reading a good book.  I recently discovered a new author I enjoy, and I am eagerly reading all of their books.

Reading:

1. Reread the text Keb Needs a Home (RazPlus–Keb Needs a Home–book).  Then think about and share your answers to some discussion questions with an adult (RazPlus–Keb Needs a Home–discussion questions).
  2. Read a good fit book for 20 minutes.

Writing:

1. Continue to work on writing your informational book about the animal you researched last week.  Use this template to make sure you include all of the important information (Information Animal Book Template).  Add drawings of the information you write about in each section of your book.
  2. An adjective is a word that describes a noun.  An adverb is a word that describes a verb (or sometimes an adjective or other adverb).  Determine whether a given word is an adjective describing a noun OR an adverb describing a verb (STW–Adjective or Adverb?). 

Math:

1. Practice fact families using fact triangles (STW–Fact Family Flash Cards).  If you have been printing each day’s assignments, you have likely already printed and cut these out.  You will be using them for the rest of the week.  
  2. This week, your assignments will all come from the same packet (https://www.tptschoolaccess.com/student-view/Njg5MTA4NDg2NTEyOTIwMjAtMDUtMTlUMTY6Mjc6NDAuMDY5Wg==).  Across the week, you will use pages 3-9 and 13-15.  Today, do the pages Counting Sides (page 6) and Drawing Sides (page 7).  There are many names for shapes that have four sides.  All shapes with four sides are quadrilaterals.  Some examples of quadrilaterals are squares, rectangles, parallelograms, rhombuses, and trapezoids.  
  3. Go on Symphony Math for 20 minutes.

Social Studies and Science:

1. Read a story about a boy whose family moved to the United States from Mexico (RazPlus–Welcome Carlos).  Think about the answers to some questions as you read.  Why did Carlos’s family move to the United States?  How does Carlos feel about the move?  What will he miss about Mexico?  What is he excited about in his new home?