Monday, May 11, 2020

Dear 2nd Grade Students and Families,

I hope you all enjoyed a fun and relaxing weekend.  I found a new trail near my house and began to explore it with my kids yesterday.  It was a lovely way to spend the day.

Specials:

1. Today’s special is music.  Be sure to check out Ms. Renauld’s blog to find great ideas for musical activities you can do at home.  Here’s the link: https://hrenauld.edublogs.org/.

Reading:

1. This week, you’ll read several short texts–keeping with our focus on traditional literature.  Because the texts are so short, they are ideal for reading through multiple times to develop a solid understanding of the events in the story and to begin thinking about the moral, or lesson, the stories teach.  Today’s story is a fable called The Fox and the Stork (RazPlus–The Fox and the Stork).  Here are some questions to guide each reading of the text (RazPlus–The Fox and the Stork–Questions).  Read the story the first time.  Then answer questions 1, 2, and 3.  You may share your ideas by talking with an adult, OR you may write them down.  Read the story a second time.  Then answer questions 4, 5, and 6.  Again, you may share your ideas by talking with an adult, OR you may write them down.
  2. Read another good fit book for 20 minutes.

Writing:

1. Adverbs are words that describe verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs.  Adverbs tell when, where, how, or how often.  Some adverbs end in -ly.  Here is a sheet that shows examples of adverbs (Adverb Anchor Chart).  Complete this assignment to practice identifying adverbs and the verbs they are describing (STW–Adverbs–1).
  2. In 3rd grade, you will begin typing some of your assignments.  It will be much easier to do that if you’ve spent time practicing your keyboarding skills.  Use this website you used in technology class to practice (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zf2f9j6/articles/z3c6tfr).  Even though you’ve done it before, start with level 1 today.  Remember what Mr. Mwangi always says–fingers on the home keys!
  3. OPTIONAL:  I’ve been so impressed with the writing I’ve seen recently!  Though I want you to practice typing this week, I have an optional activity to help you practice your creative writing skills too (Choose Your Own Writing Adventure).  Choose one setting, one character, and one event around which to build a story.  For example, I might set my story in a forest (setting) and write about a child (character) who meets a unicorn (event).  If you choose to do this assignment, take today to plan your story on a scrap piece of paper.  Make sure your story has a clear beginning, middle, and end.  Think about the details that will describe the setting and characters, and plan an interesting problem and solution for your story.  For example, the child in my story might need the unicorn’s help to save the forest from being chopped down.

Math:

1. Practice adding within 100 (STW–Addition–2-digit–1).  Use any of the strategies you know (e.g., combining 10s and 1s, counting up using an open number line, or making friendly numbers) to solve the problems.
  2. Go on Symphony Math for 20 minutes.

Social Studies and Science:

1. Last week, you read about animals that live in four different habitats–deserts, polar regions, rainforests, and wetlands.  Today and tomorrow, your job is to choose 2 of those habitats to compare and contrast (Compare and Contrast Two Habitats).  Try to complete questions 1-5 today.