Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Dear 2nd Grade Students and Families,

I really enjoy finding new places to explore.  That’s one thing I love about my house.  There are trails throughout the woods around where I live, and I find new ones to explore all the time.  Here’s a picture of one of my recent walks along a newfound trail.  What’s something you enjoy doing?

Specials:

1. Today’s special is library.  Ms. River’s recommends that you spend some extra time today curled up reading a good book.  I recently discovered a new author I enjoy, and I am eagerly reading all of their books.

Reading:

1. Today’s story is a fable called The Ant and the Grasshopper (RazPlus–The Ant and the Grasshopper).  Here are some questions to guide your repeated readings of the text (RazPlus–The Ant and the Grasshopper–Questions).  Read the story the first time.  Then answer questions 1, 2, and 3.  You may share your ideas by talking with an adult, OR you may write them down.  Read the story a second time.  Then answer questions 4 and 5.  Again, you may share your ideas by talking with an adult, OR you may write them down.
  2. Read another good fit book for 20 minutes.

Writing:

1. Adverbs are words that describe verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs.  Adverbs tell when, where, how, or how often.  Some adverbs end in -ly.  Here is a sheet that shows examples of adverbs (Adverb Anchor Chart).  Complete this assignment to practice identifying adverbs AND telling whether adverbs describe how, when, or where (STW–Adverbs–2).
  2. Continue to use the website you used in technology class to practice your keyboarding skills (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zf2f9j6/articles/z3c6tfr).  Work on levels 2 or 3 today.  Remember what Mr. Mwangi always says–fingers on the home keys!
  3. OPTIONAL: Continue to write your story based on the setting, character, and event you chose on Monday.  If you want, draw pictures that help to tell your story (Fundations Writing Paper or Fundations Paper with Drawing Space).

Math:

1. Skip count by 100s.  Start at 0, 200, 150, and 225.
  2. Complete multi-step word problems with numbers within 20 (STW–Multistep Word Problems–1).  Be sure to read each problem carefully in order to figure out the steps needed to find the final answer.
  3. Go on Symphony Math for 20 minutes.
  4. Don’t forget to complete your problem of the day from your May calendar.

Social Studies and Science:

1. Explore a habitat near year home and take pictures or make drawings of the plants and animals you see.  Examples of habitats you might find near your home include: a pond habitat, a river/stream habitat, a forest habitat, or a meadow habitat.