Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Dear 2nd Grade Students and Families,

I can’t wait to see you all today during our 3:00 meeting!  Hopefully, my internet will behave itself today, so I can see your faces in addition to hearing your voices.  I will send an email with our Google Meet link at 2:40.

Specials:

1. Today’s special is art.  Be sure to check out Ms. Neal’s blog to find great ideas for art activities you can do at home.  Here’s the link: https://lesartroom.edublogs.org/.

Reading:

1. Use the story Jack’s Tale (RazPlus–Jacks Tale) to help you complete this comprehension quiz (RazPlus–Jacks Tale–Comprehension Quiz).
  2. Go on Lexia for 20 minutes.

Writing:

1. Adjectives are words that describe nouns.  Adjectives tell about the size, shape, color, number, texture, smell, sound, or taste of the noun they’re describing.  Complete this sheet to practice with identifying adjectives and the nouns they are describing (RazPlus–Jacks and Giants Tales–Adjectives).
  2. Today, you will finish your opinion essay plan.  First, think of a second reason to support your opinion about the topic you’ve chosen to write about.  For example, another reason why I think Laura is a caring friend is because she shows interest in what is happening in my life.  Then think of examples and details to support that reason.  For example, when we talk, she shows interest in my life by asking how my kids are doing.  Finally, fill in the blanks to craft a concluding sentence that sums up your opinion and reasons.  Here is the sheet if you did not begin your plan yesterday: Opinion Essay Plan.  Complete the sections for the second supporting and concluding paragraphs today.  Use my examples to help you make your plan.

Math:

1. Choose one: 1. Practice writing numbers in the 100s using your knowledge of place value (STW–Place Value–3-digit–2).  2. For a greater challenge, instead practice writing numbers in the 1,000s using your knowledge of place value (STW–Place Value–4-digit–2).  
  2. Try this place value math game (STW–Greater Than and Less Than Game).

Social Studies and Science:

1. Go on PebbleGo to read and take notes about polar animals (Animal Habitat Notes).  To access PebbleGo, start from the LES homepage.  Then click on For Students–PebbleGo–Animals–Animal Habitats–Polar Animals.  **You will use this same note sheet for the rest of the week.  You should not complete it all today–just the part under the heading Tuesday: Polar Animals.