Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Dear 2nd Grade Students and Families,

Today’s a big day.  The LES Wave Parade will start at the school at 1:30 and follow a route around town.  It will end back at LES around 3:00.  If you are able to participate, please make sure that children stay with an adult, that families stay back from the road, and that everyone follows social distancing guidelines.  You will see me in my tan Toyota Corolla with a big smile on my face.  Here is the letter that was shared with families which includes information about the parade route: LES Wave Parade.

Specials:

1. Today’s special is library.  Ms. River’s recommends that you spend some extra time today curled up reading a good book.  I recently discovered a new author I enjoy, and I am eagerly reading all of their books.

Reading:

1. Read Giant’s Tale (RazPlus–Giants Tale).  Think about the following questions.  You might share your answers with an adult.  1. Why does George trade his beans for the goose?  2. Does George want to eat Jack?  How do you know?  3. How does George feel while he’s staying with Jack and Jack’s mom?  What makes you think that?  5. How is this version of the story similar to the version you read on Monday?  How is this version different?
  2. Read another good fit book for 20 minutes.

Writing:

1. Adjectives are words that describe nouns.  Adjectives tell about the size, shape, color, number, texture, smell, sound, or taste of the noun they’re describing.  Complete this sheet to practice choosing appropriate adjectives to modify nouns in a sentence (STW–Adjectives–3).
  2. Use the plan you made on Monday and Tuesday to help you begin to write an opinion essay.  Today, focus on writing the introductory paragraph and the first supporting paragraph.  Remember to start each paragraph by indenting the first line.    You may use this paper to craft your essay (Fundations Writing Paper).

Math:

1. Choose one: 1. Practice comparing numbers in the 100s using knowledge of place value (STW–Ordering Numbers–3-digit).  2. For a greater challenge, instead practice comparing numbers in the 1,000s using your knowledge of place value (STW–Ordering Numbers–4-digit).  
  2. Go on Symphony Math for 20 minutes.

Social Studies and Science:

1. Go on PebbleGo to read and take notes about polar animals (Animal Habitat Notes).  To access PebbleGo, start from the LES homepage.  Then click on For Students–PebbleGo–Animals–Animal Habitats–Rainforest Animals.  **You will use this same note sheet that you’ve been using all week.  You should not complete it all today–just the part under the heading Wednesday: Rainforest Animals.