Thursday, May 7, 2020

Dear 2nd Grade Students and Families,

It was wonderful to see so many LES families yesterday!  I appreciate being part of such an amazing community.  I also got to meet my newest baby friend yesterday (at a safe social distance), which made it an even more special day.

I look forward to seeing many of you at 3:00 for our Thursday class meeting.  As always, I will send out an email with the link around 2:40 this afternoon.

Specials:

1. Today’s special is P.E.  Check out Coach Sadie’s blog for some ideas to help you stay physically active: https://leverettpe.edublogs.org/category/second-grade/.

Reading:

1. Complete this comprehension quiz to show your understanding of the story, Giant’s Tale (RazPlus–Giants Tale–Comprehension Quiz).
  2. Go on Lexia for 20 minutes.

Writing:

1. Adjectives are words that describe nouns.  Adjectives tell about the size, shape, color, number, texture, smell, sound, or taste of the noun they’re describing.  Complete this sheet to practice using comparative (-er) and superlative (-est) adjectives. (STW–Adjectives with er and est).
  2. Use the plan you made on Monday and Tuesday to help you finish writing your opinion essay.  Today, focus on writing the third supporting paragraph and the concluding paragraph.  Remember to start each paragraph by indenting the first line.    You may use this paper to craft your essay (Fundations Writing Paper).

Math:

1. Choose one: 1. Practice writing numbers in the 100s in expanded form (STW–Expanded Form–3-digit).  2. For a greater challenge, instead practice writing numbers in the 1,000s in expanded form (STW–Expanding Numbers–4-digit).  
  2. Try this place value math game to prepare for the bigger numbers you’ll encounter in 3rd grade (STW–Greater Than and Less Than Game–4-digit).

Social Studies and Science:

1. Go on PebbleGo to read and take notes about wetland animals (Animal Habitat Notes).  To access PebbleGo, start from the LES homepage.  Then click on For Students–PebbleGo–Animals–Animal Habitats–Wetland Animals.  **You will use this same note sheet that you’ve been using all week.  You should not complete it all today–just the part under the heading Thursday: Wetland Animals.